Advanced Surgical Procedures
Briarcrest Veterinary Care Center is proud to offer advanced surgery to our clients who are committed to providing the best possible care for their pets. Of course we also do all of the routine surgeries necessary to keep our patients as healthy as possible. What sets us apart from many veterinary facilities is the advanced level of surgery we provide.
Here are some of the advanced surgical procedures we provide.
Dr. Craig Nausley has been performing orthopedic surgery for over 30 years. All of the doctors at Briarcrest Veterinary Care Center are experienced in the diagnosis of lameness and other orthopedic abnormalities. Here are some of the conditions Dr. Nausley performs surgery to correct.
- Patellar Luxations – a congenital abnormality of the kneecap that results in lamness and a predisposition for other knee injury. Occasionally it can result from injury. Surgery is often necessary to correct this condition.
- Fracture repair – internal repair of bone fractures is often required for proper healing.
- Extracapsular repair of cranial cruciate rupture – a very common injury of the knee that results in lameness, pain, and the development of arthritis. It requires surgery to correct in most cases.
- Femoral head and neck excision – a procedure performed in advanced cases of hip dysplasia and sometimes due to fracture or displacement of the hip joint.
- Joint luxation repair – hips, elbows, and sometimes other joints are displaced due to injury and require correction.
- Tendon and ligament repair – results from injury and often requires surgical correction.
- Leg or digit amputation – if an injury is very severe or if there is a tumor or severe disease present amputation is an option.
In cases of bone/joint injury or disease the doctors will asses the condition and offer options for treatment or referral to a specialist.
CO2 Cutting Laser
Our CO2 surgical laser allows to do many procedures more efficiently.
Benefits of surgical laser
Less Bleeding: As it cuts, the laser seals small blood vessels. This drastic reduction in bleeding enables a number of new surgical procedures that are not practical with conventional scalpel.
Less Pain: The CO2 laser beam seals nerve endings and lymphatics, resulting in less edema and pain. The patient experiences a far more comfortable post-operative recovery.
Reduced risk of infection: This is one of the unique features of the CO2 laser beam. It efficiently kills bacteria in its path, producing a sterilizing effect.
Quicker recovery time: Reduced risk of infection, less bleeding, less pain and less swelling often allow the patient a far quicker recovery after the surgery.
Procedures we routinely perform with our surgical CO2 cutting laser:
- Small skin mass removal and ablation.
- Surgical incisions in many instances such as with anal sac removal or ear hematomas.
- Debridement of unhealthy tissue such as elbow hygromas and proliferative ear infections.
- Oral masses and gum surgery.
- Small eyelid tumors.
- Feline declaws.
A sampling of surgeries done at Briarcrest Veterinary Care Center
- Ovariohysterectomy (Spay) Castration(Neuter) Laceration repair Eyelid corrective surgery
- Eyelid mass removal Corrective ear surgery Hernia repair Oral tumors
- Skin mass removal Lipoma removal GI foreign body Internal tumor removal
- Anal sac removal Gallbladder removal Lymph node biopsy Spleen removal
- Bladder stone removal Pyometra (infected uterus) Mammary masses Stenotic (Narrow) nostrils
- Elongated soft palate Laryngeal paralysis Diaphragm hernia Collapsed lung
- Abscess drain and treat Cyst removal Bladder tumors Surgical biopsy
High-speed Dental Equipment for Difficult Dental Extractions
Dental extractions are a common procedure performed at Briarcrest Veterinary Care Center. Reasons for extractions include fractures and severe tooth disease. While some extractions are relatively simple many are very complex and difficult. Larger dog teeth often have multiple, very large, deep roots. Cat teeth may have severe erosive disease. In order to extract teeth in difficult cases we utilize special high-speed drills and cutting instruments to section the teeth for complete removal. Some patients require multiple extractions and occasionally a full mouth extraction. Our equipment allows us to do these procedures rapidly and safely.